[Numpy-discussion] numpy.scipy.org page 404s

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock@googlemail....
Fri Apr 26 10:18:17 CDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Christopher Hanley <chanley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Numpy Webmasters,
>>
>> Would it be possible to either redirect numpy.scipy.org to www.numpy.org or
>> to the main numpy github landing page?  Currently numpy.scipy.org hits a
>> Github 404 page.  As the numpy.scipy.org site still shows up in searches it
>> would be useful to have that address resolve to something more helpful.
>>
>> Thank you for your time and help,
>
> $ dig numpy.scipy.org
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> numpy.scipy.org
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;numpy.scipy.org. IN A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> numpy.scipy.org. 682 IN CNAME www.numpy.org.
> www.numpy.org. 60 IN CNAME numpy.github.com.
> numpy.github.com. 42982 IN A 204.232.175.78
>
> ;; Query time: 14 msec
> ;; SERVER: 10.44.0.1#53(10.44.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Fri Apr 26 16:05:20 2013
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103
>

> Unfortunately, Github can only deal with one CNAME, www.numpy.org. The
> documentation recommends that one "redirect" the other domains, but
> it's not clear exactly what it is referring to. Having an HTTP server
> with an A record for numpy.scipy.org that just issues HTTP 301
> redirects for everything? I can look into getting that set up.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/my-custom-domain-isn-t-working#multiple-domains-in-cname-file

+1 for fixing this - I tried to report this back in February, but
checking the archive my email seems to have gotten lost.

I noticed this from a manuscript in proof when the copy editor
pointed out http://numpy.scipy.org wasn't working.

As http://numpy.scipy.org used to be a widely used URL for
the project, and likely appears in many printed references,
fixing it to redirect to the (relatively new) http://www.numpy.org
would be good.

Peter