[Numpy-discussion] Proposal of new function: iteraxis()

Fri Apr 26 15:50:02 CDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 08:10:32PM +0100, Robert Kern wrote:
> In my opinion, duplicating functionality under different aliases just
> so people can supposedly find things without reading the documentation
> is not a viable strategy for building out an API.

+1. It's been my experience over and over again. Richer APIs are actually
less used and known than simple APIs. People don't find their way around
them.

> My suggestion is to start building out a "How do I ...?" section to
> the User's Guide that answers small questions like this. "How do I
> iterate over an arbitrary axis of an array?" should be sufficiently
> discoverable.

Indeed, I agree that this is a documentation problem. It does not make it
a simple problem.