[Numpy-discussion] OS X binaries for releases

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Mon Aug 26 08:28:59 CDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Russell E. Owen <rowen@uw.edu> wrote:
> > In article
> > <CABL7CQjaCXp2GrtT8HVmaYAjRm0xmtn1Qt71WKdnbGq7dLU0cQ@mail.gmail.com>,
> >  Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Building binaries for releases is currently quite complex and
> >> time-consuming. For OS X we need two different machines, because we
> still
> >> provide binaries for OS X 10.5 and PPC machines. I propose to not do
> this
> >> anymore. It doesn't mean we completely drop support for 10.5 and PPC,
> just
> >> that we don't produce binaries. PPC was phased out in 2006 and OS X 10.6
> >> came out in 2009, so there can't be a lot of demand for it (and the
> >> download stats at
> >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.7.1/confirm this).
> >>
> >> Furthermore I propose to not provide 2.6 binaries anymore. Downloads of
> 2.6
> >> OS X binaries were <5% of the 2.7 ones. We did the same with 2.4 for a
> long
> >> time - support it but no binaries.
> >>
> >> So what we'd have left at the moment is only the 64-bit/32-bit universal
> >> binary for 10.6 and up. What we finally need to add is 3.x OS X
> binaries.
> >> We can make an attempt to build these on 10.8 - since we have access to
> >> hosted 10.8 Mac Mini it would allow all devs to easily do a release
> >> (leaving aside the Windows issue). If anyone has tried the 10.6 SDK on
> 10.8
> >> and knows if it actually works, that would be helpful.
> >>
> >> Any concerns, objections?
> >
> > I am in strong agreement.
> >
> > I'll be interested to learn how you make binary installers for python
> > 3.x because the standard version of bdist_mpkg will not do it. I have
> > heard of two other projects (forks or variants of bdist_mpkg) that will,
> > but I have no idea of either is supported.
>
> I think I'm the owner of one of the forks; I supporting it, but I
> should certainly make a release soon too.
>
> > I have been able to building packages on 10.8 using
> > MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 that will run on 10.6, so it will probably
> > work. However I have run into several odd problems over the years
> > building a binary installer on a newer system only to find it won't work
> > on older systems for various reasons. Thus my personal recommendation is
> > that you build on 10.6 if you want an installer that reliably works for
> > 10.6 and later.

That has been my experience as well, unfortunately. I was just willing to
try again with 10.8 --> 10.6.

> I keep an older computer around for this reason. In fact
> > that is one good reason to drop support for ancient operating systems
> > and PPC.
>
> I'm sitting next to a 10.6 machine you are welcome to use; just let me
> know, I'll give you login access.

I have a 10.6 machine as well, so for me it's not an issue. The aim is to
make it easy for others to build binaries, and there's a hosted 10.8
machine available to use for all numpy/scipy devs.

Ralf