[Numpy-discussion] Dealing with the mode argument in qr.

Tue Feb 5 15:23:34 CST 2013

Hi All,

This post is to bring the discussion of PR
#2965<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/2965>to the attention of the
list. There are at least three issues in play here.

1) The PR adds modes 'big' and 'thin' to the current modes 'full', 'r',
'economic' for qr factorization. The problem is that the current 'full' is
actually 'thin' and 'big' should be 'full'. The solution here was to raise
a FutureWarning on use of 'full', alias it to 'thin' for the time being,
and at some distant time change 'full' to alias 'big'.

2) The 'economic' mode serves little purpose. I propose to deprecate it and
add a 'qrf' mode instead, corresponding to scipy's 'raw' mode. We can't use
'raw' itself as traditionally the mode may be specified using the first
letter only and that leads to a conflict with 'r'.

3) As suggested in 2, the use of single letter abbreviations can constrain
the options in choosing mode names and they are not as informative as the
full name. A possibility here is to deprecate the use of the abbreviations
in favor of the full names.

A longer term problem is the divergence between the numpy and scipy
versions of qr. The divergence is enough that I don't see any easy way to
come to a common interface, but that is something that would be desirable
if possible.

Thoughts?

Chuck