[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Feb 5 19:01:29 CST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 4) Numpy-MKL requires the Intel runtime DLLs (MKL is linked statically
>>> btw). I ship those with the installers and append the directory
>>> containing the DLLs to os.environ['PATH'] in numpy/__init__.py. This is
>>> a big no-no according to numpy developers. I don't agree. Anyway, those
>>> changes are not in the numpy source repositories.
>
> I think you pointed out that another option is to load the dlls with
> ctypes -- is it much work to make that change?
>
>>> 5) My numpy-MKL installers are Python distutils bdist_wininst
>>> installers. That means if Python was installed for all users, installing
>>> numpy-MKL on Windows >6.0 will prompt for UAC elevation. Another no-no?
>
> not sure about the UAC elevation -- but:
>
> 1) most folks use bdist_wininst for Windows binaries -- including the
> current numpy builds, and python.org python -- yes?
>
> 2) UAC aside, It would be great to have binaries that could be used
> with virtualenv -- binary eggs?

easy_install can install into virtualenvs from bdist_wininst
installers, at least the ones I have built...

See you,

Matthew