[Numpy-discussion] Adding .abs() method to the array object

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Sat Feb 23 13:25:32 CST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Till Stensitzki <mail.till@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> i know that the array object is already crowded, but i would like
> to see the abs method added, especially doing work on the console.
> Considering that many much less used functions are also implemented
> as a method, i don't think adding one more would be problematic.

My gut feeling is that we have too many methods on ndarray, not too
few, but in any case, can you elaborate? What's the rationale for why
np.abs(a) is so much harder than a.abs(), and why this function and
not other unary functions?

-n