[Numpy-discussion] drawing the line (was: Adding .abs() method to the array object)

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Feb 26 12:11:01 CST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM, eat <e.antero.tammi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Huh,
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@ou.edu> wrote:

>> > Proposed line:
>> >
>> > Reduction methods only.
>> >
>> > Discuss...
>>
>> arr.dot ?
>>
>> the 99 most common functions for which chaining looks nice.
>
> Care to elaborate more for us less uninitiated?

partially a joke. I don't see any good and simple rule to restrict the
number of methods.

dot was added as a method a few numpy versions ago, because it is
painful to write nested or sequential dot products. Alan was in favor
of the dot method and of matrix algebra because it's much easier on
new users who come from a background that has a dot product as "*" or
similar operator.

As Skipper, I think the number of methods is not really huge
(especially not numerical operations)

Josef