[Numpy-discussion] Conversion functions

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Tue Jan 1 11:23:26 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Schönberger Johannes <
hannesschoenberger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently opened a new pull request which adds the functionality to
> convert between degrees and degrees, minutes and seconds
> (https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/2869).
>
> The discussion is about whether such conversion functionality should
> be integrated into numpy at all or whether this belongs to scipy. I
> suggest to move the most common conversion functions (deg2rad,
> rad2deg, deg2dms, dms2deg and some more could be added) to a separate
> file `conversion.py` file in `numpy/lib`.
>
> I could implement this in a new pull request, if the general consensus
> is in favor of it? What are your thoughts?

After checking what's in scipy.constants now (degree/arcminute/arcsecond
and for example temperature and frequency conversion function), I think
that that's where it belongs.

A separate new numpy submodule with a bunch of these type of conversion
utilities would be my second choice. I'm -1 on adding such small and fairly
domain-specific functions to the main numpy namespace.

Ralf