[Numpy-discussion] Do we want scalar casting to behave as it does at the moment?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Fri Jan 4 10:54:09 CST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Andrew Collette
<andrew.collette@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From a more basic perspective, I think that adding a number to an
> array should never raise an exception.  I've not used any other
> language in which this behavior takes place.  In C, you have rollover
> behavior, in IDL you roll over or clip, and in NumPy you either roll
> or upcast, depending on the version.  IDL, etc. manage to handle
> things like max() or total() in a sensible (or at least defensible)
> fashion, and without raising an error.

That's a reasonable point.

Looks like we lost consensus.

What about returning to the 1.5 behavior instead?

Best,

Matthew