[Numpy-discussion] Do we want scalar casting to behave as it does at the moment?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 06:32:09 CST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Andrew Collette
> <andrew.collette@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >From a more basic perspective, I think that adding a number to an
>> array should never raise an exception.  I've not used any other
>> language in which this behavior takes place.  In C, you have rollover
>> behavior, in IDL you roll over or clip, and in NumPy you either roll
>> or upcast, depending on the version.  IDL, etc. manage to handle
>> things like max() or total() in a sensible (or at least defensible)
>> fashion, and without raising an error.
>
> That's a reasonable point.
>
> Looks like we lost consensus.
>
> What about returning to the 1.5 behavior instead?

If we do return to the 1.5 behavior, we would need to think about
doing this in 1.7.

If there are a large number of 1.5.x and previous users who would
upgrade to 1.7, leaving the 1.6 behavior in 1.7 will mean that they
will get double the confusion:

1) The behavior has changed to something they weren't expecting
2) The behavior is going to change back very soon

Best,

Matthew