[Numpy-discussion] Which Python to use for Mac binaries

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Mon Jan 7 07:31:59 CST 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Which exact Python do we need to use on Mac? Do we need to use the
>>> binary installer from python.org?
>>
>> Yes, the one from python.org.
>>
>>> Or can I install it from source?
>
> you could install from source using the same method that the
> python.org binaries are built -- there is a script with the source to
> do that, though I'm not sure what the point of that would be.
>
>> The 10.3 installers for 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 should be compiled on OS X 10.5.
>
> It would be great to continue support for that, though I wonder how
> many people still need it -- I don't think Apple supports 10.5
> anymore, for instance.
>
>> The 10.7 --> 10.6 support hasn't been checked, but I wouldn't trust it. I
>> have a 10.6 machine, so I can compile those binaries if needed.
>
> That would be better, but it would also be nice to check how building
> on 10.7 works.
>
>> Avoid using system Python for anything. The first thing to do on any new OS
>> X system is install Python some other way, preferably from python.org.
>
> +1
>
>> Last note: bdist_mpkg is unmaintained and doesn't support Python 3.x. Most
>> recent version is at: https://github.com/matthew-brett/bdist_mpkg, for
>> previous versions numpy releases I've used that at commit e81a58a471
>
> There has been recent discussion on the pythonmac list about this --
> some waffling about how important it is -- though I think it would be
> good to keep it up to date.

I updated my fork of bdist_mpkg with Python 3k support.  It doesn't
have any tests that I could see, but I've run it on python 2.6 and 3.2
and 3.3 on one of my packages as a first pass.

>> If we want 3.x binaries, then we should fix that or (preferably) build
>> binaries with Bento. Bento has grown support for mpkg's; I'm not sure how
>> robust that is.
>
> So maybe bento is a better route than bdist_mpkg -- this is worth
> discussion on teh pythonmac list.

David - can you give a status update on that?

Cheers,

Matthew