[Numpy-discussion] Which Python to use for Mac binaries

Robert Lupton the Good rhl@astro.princeton....
Mon Jan 7 12:19:00 CST 2013

I am sympathetic with this attitude ("Avoid using system Python for anything"), but I don't think it's the right one.  For example, the project I'm working on (HSC/LSST for astrofolk) is using python/C++ for astronomical imaging, and we expect to have the code running on a significant number of end-user laptops.   If the instructions start out with:
	0. Install a new version of python
it's a significant barrier.  What if they've already involved other packages into the system python?

Python is a central part of modern operating systems, and people should not have to manage two versions of python to use numpy. It's  tempting to say, "First install g++ 4.7 so we can use C++11 features" it's simply not viable, and I think that saying, "first install a new python" is comparable.  Yes, I know that you can have more than one python/compiler suite installed simultaneously, but that's not something for casual users to have to get involved in.