[Numpy-discussion] Do we want scalar casting to behave as it does at the moment?

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Tue Jan 8 14:04:09 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/2013 1:48 PM, Olivier Delalleau wrote:
>> As I mentioned in another post, I also agree that it would make things
>> simpler and safer to just yield the same result as if we were using a
>> one-element array.
>
> Yes!
> Anything else is going to drive people insane,
> especially new users.

New users don't use narrow-width dtypes... it's important to remember
in this discussion that in numpy, non-standard dtypes only arise when
users explicitly request them, so there's some expressed intention
there that we want to try and respect. (As opposed to the type
associated with Python manifest constants like the "2" in "2 * a",
which probably no programmer looked at and thought "hmm, what I want
here is 2-as-an-int64".)

-n