[Numpy-discussion] Do we want scalar casting to behave as it does at the moment?

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac@gmail....
Tue Jan 8 14:43:52 CST 2013

On 1/8/2013 3:04 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> New users don't use narrow-width dtypes... it's important to remember
> in this discussion that in numpy, non-standard dtypes only arise when
> users explicitly request them, so there's some expressed intention
> there that we want to try and respect.

1. I think the first statement is wrong.
Control over dtypes is a good reason for
a new use to consider NumPy.

2. You cannot treat the intention as separate from the rules.
Users want to play by the rules.

Because NumPy supports broadcasting,
it is natural for array-array operations and
scalar-array operations to be consistent.
I believe anything else will be too confusing.

I do not recall an example yet that clearly
demonstrates a case where a single user would
want two different behaviors for a scalar operation
and an analogous broadcasting operation.
Was there one?

Alan Isaac