[Numpy-discussion] Insights / lessons learned from NumPy design

Mike Anderson mike.r.anderson.13@gmail....
Wed Jan 9 22:06:37 CST 2013

On 9 January 2013 23:09, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/9/2013 9:58 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > I don't think most happy current numpy users are wishing they
> > could switch to writing Lisp on the JVM or vice-versa, so I don't
> > think it's surprising that no-one's jumped up to do this work.
>

> Sure.  I'm trying to look at this more from the Clojure end.
> Is it really better to start from scratch than to attempt
> a contribution to NumPy that would make it useful to Clojure.
> Given the amount of work that has gone into making NumPy
> what it is, it seems a huge project for the Clojure people
> to hope to produce anything comparable starting from scratch.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Currently I expect that the Clojure community will produce an abstraction /
API for matrices / ndarrays that supports multiple implementations. It's
fairly idiomatic in Clojure to work in abstractions, and the language
offers good tools for making different concrete abstractions work with a
common API, so it's less hard to make this work than it might sound.

An interface to NumPy could certainly be one of the implementations of this
API - I'm sure people would find this very useful given the maturity on
NumPy and the need for integration in environments
with heterogeneous systems.

At the same time, there will be people in the Clojure world who will want
to stay 100% on the JVM for certain projects. For them I don't see how
NumPy could be used, unless it can be made to run well on Jython perhaps?