[Numpy-discussion] New numpy functions: filled, filled_like

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Fri Jan 18 08:19:35 CST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net>wrote:

> On 17/01/2013 23:27, Mark Wiebe wrote:
> > Would it be too weird or clumsy to extend the empty and empty_like
> > functions to do the filling?
> >
> > np.empty((10, 10), fill=np.nan)
> > np.empty_like(my_arr, fill=np.nan)
>
> Wouldn't it be more natural to extend the ndarray constructor?
>
> np.ndarray((10, 10), fill=np.nan)
>
> It looks more natural to me. In this way it is not possible to have the
> _like extension, but I don't see it as a major drawback.
>

> Cheers,
> Daniele

This isn't a bad idea.  Although, I would wager that most people, like
myself, use np.array() and np.array_like() instead of np.ndarray().  We
should also double-check and see how well that would fit in with the other
contructors like masked arrays and matrix objects.

Ben Root