[Numpy-discussion] New numpy functions: filled, filled_like

Daniele Nicolodi daniele@grinta....
Fri Jan 18 10:36:12 CST 2013

On 18/01/2013 15:19, Benjamin Root wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net
> <mailto:daniele@grinta.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 17/01/2013 23:27, Mark Wiebe wrote:
>     > Would it be too weird or clumsy to extend the empty and empty_like
>     > functions to do the filling?
>     >
>     > np.empty((10, 10), fill=np.nan)
>     > np.empty_like(my_arr, fill=np.nan)
>
>     Wouldn't it be more natural to extend the ndarray constructor?
>
>     np.ndarray((10, 10), fill=np.nan)
>
>     It looks more natural to me. In this way it is not possible to have the
>     _like extension, but I don't see it as a major drawback.
>

>     Cheers,
>     Daniele
>

> This isn't a bad idea.  Although, I would wager that most people, like
> myself, use np.array() and np.array_like() instead of np.ndarray().  We
> should also double-check and see how well that would fit in with the
> other contructors like masked arrays and matrix objects.

Hello Ben,

I don't really get what you mean with this. np.array() construct a numpy
array from an array-like object, np.ndarray() accepts a dimensions tuple
as first parameter, I don't see any np.array_like in the current numpy
release.

Cheers,
Daniele