[Numpy-discussion] pull request: generalized ufunc signature fix and lineal algebra generalized ufuncs

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Thu Jan 31 13:44:05 CST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Oscar Villellas
<oscar.villellas@continuum.io> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At Continuum Analytics we've been working on a submodule implementing
> a set of lineal algebra operations as generalized ufuncs. This allows
> specifying arrays of lineal algebra problems to be computed with a
> single Python call, allowing broadcasting as well. As the
> vectorization is handled in the kernel, this gives a speed edge on the
> operations. We think this could be useful to the community and we want
> to share the work done.

It certainly does look useful. My question is -- why do we need two
complete copies of the linear algebra routine interfaces? Can we just
replace the existing linalg functions with these new implementations?
Or if not, what prevents it?

-n