[Numpy-discussion] adding booleans

Sebastian Berg sebastian@sipsolutions....
Sat Jun 8 04:18:53 CDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 00:48 +0100, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On 7 Jun 2013 21:58, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Interesting observation, (while lurking on a pull request)

> > 3
> > array([ True,  True,  True, False, False], dtype=bool)
> >

> > I often use summing of an array of boolean but didn't know the
> second behavior
>
> ...yeah weird. My gut reaction is that it's a bug. Addition on bools
> should either be an error, undefined but doable via an implicit upcast
> to int (analogous to calling np.sin on an int array triggering an
> upcast to float), or xor (i.e., addition mod 2). But apparently we're
> inconsistent - add.reduce upcasts, and add.__call__, uh... upcasts and
> then downcasts, maybe? It's like if np.sin on an int array returned
> ints? I can't see how to get the quoted behaviour in any conceptually
> coherent way. But maybe I'm missing something.

I believe these are implemented as ufunc-machinery special cases for the
add ufunc reduction methods. This ensures that the sums output integer
type is at least a `np.int_` if the input is integer or bool. With a
future warning, it seems plausible for bools to have `bool + bool = int`
(code might (ab)use it as a logical operation) I guess, but `int16 +
int16` should probably stay int16? While sum over it being larger avoids
overflow accidents.
Another (additionally good) thing would be to have better integer
overflow warnings here, but it seems likely that for the sake of
backward compatibility these special cases can't be easily changed in
any case.

- Sebastian