[Numpy-discussion] numpy.filled, again

Daniele Nicolodi daniele@grinta....
Wed Jun 12 07:26:58 CDT 2013

On 12/06/2013 14:10, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> It looks like we've gotten a bit confused and need to untangle
> something. There's a PR to add new functions 'np.filled' and
> 'np.filled_like':
>   https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/2875
> And there was a discussion about this on the list back in January:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/52763
>
> I think a reasonable summary of the opinions in the thread are:
> - This functionality is great, ...
> - ...but we can't call it 'np.filled' because there's also
> 'np.ma.filled' which does something else...
> - ...but there really aren't any better names...
> - ...so we should overload np.empty, like: 'np.empty(shape, fill=value)'

There where the additional proposal (mostly neglected on the original
thread) to add the 'fill' optional parameter to the array constructor:

np.ndarray(shape, fill=value)

has an obvious meaning to me.

I also don't really see why an np.empty() constructor exists, it seems
to do the same thing that np.ndarray() does.  However, I don't know if
adding a np.ndarray_like() constructor would make much sense.

Cheers,
Daniele