[Numpy-discussion] numpy.filled, again

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Wed Jun 12 10:45:28 CDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/12/2013 10:49 AM, Pierre Haessig wrote:
>> I find the "docs would look nice and consistent" argument pretty convincing.
>> +1 for np.filled.
>
> In Maple and Mathematica, these are called constant arrays.
> Thus (?) another possible name is:
> np.constant

This came up in the previous thread as well... the problem is that
'constant' has another even stronger meaning (in computing and
science!) of 'fixed', 'unchanging', 'read-only' (cf. C's 'const', and
the scipy.constants module). And numpy arrays do in fact have a flag
that makes them read-only. But this would not be the function that
sets it.

-n