[Numpy-discussion] PEP 208 and upstreaming numpy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jun 18 04:41:22 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Todd <toddrjen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see that the plan to merge old Numeric into the python standard library,
> PEP 208, is listed as withdrawn, although no reasons are given as far as I
> could see.
>
> Considering how mature Numpy has become, and how common it is as a
> dependency for python packages, I was wondering if there were still plans on
> the table to ultimately merge at least the ndarray class into the python
> standard library, and if so where those plans stand.

No, this will not be happening. Instead, the focus of effort went into
creating the enhanced buffer interface. This allows libraries to
communicate ndarray-like information using that interface instead of
sharing a particular concrete data structure.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3118/

--
Robert Kern