[Numpy-discussion] [numfocus] Growing the contributor base of Numpy

Jonathan Rocher jrocher@enthought....
Wed Mar 27 15:45:56 CDT 2013

Awesome Ralf!

And thanks David C. for being available for the US one. When you say you
would like to be part of it, did you mean an advanced tutorial or a sprint?
Other people available to contribute to this or coordinate this?

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Jonathan Rocher <jrocher@enthought.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> One recurring question is how to *grow the contributor base* to NumPy
>>> and provide help and relief to core developers and maintainers.
>>>
>>>  One way to do this would be to *leverage the upcoming SciPy conference*in 2 ways:
>>>
>>>    1. Provide an intermediate or advanced level tutorial on NumPy
>>>    focusing on teaching the C-API and the architecture of the package to help
>>>    people navigate the source code, and find answers to precise deep
>>>    questions. I think that many users would be interested in being better able
>>>    to understand the underlayers to become powerful users (and contributors if
>>>    they want to).
>>>
>>>    2. Organize a Numpy sprint to leverage all this freshly graduated
>>>    students apply what they learned to tackle some of the work under the
>>>    guidance of core developers.
>>>
>>>  This would be a great occasion to share and grow knowledge that is
>>> fundamental to our community. And the fact that the underlayers are in C is
>>> fine IMHO: SciPy is about scientific programming in Python and that is done
>>> with a lot of C.
>>>
>>> *Thoughts? Anyone interested in leading a tutorial (can be a team of
>>> people)? Anyone willing to coordinate the sprint? Who would be willing to
>>> be present and help during the sprint? *
>>>

>> First thought: excellent initiative. I'm not going to be at SciPy, but
>> I'm happy to coordinate a numpy/scipy sprint at EuroScipy. Going to email
>> the organizers right now.
>>

> The EuroScipy organizers have accepted our sprint, so we'll have a room
> available. If you're going to the conference, think about reserving Sun 25
> Aug to attend this sprint. I've put up a page where people can add topics
> and more details: http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/EuroSciPy2013Sprint
>
> Ralf
>

>> Ralf
>>

>>>  Note that there is less than 1 week left until the tutorial submission
>>> deadline. I am happy to help brainstorm on this to make it happen.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jonathan and Andy, for the SciPy2013 organizers
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jonathan Rocher, PhD
>>> Scientific software developer
>>> SciPy2013 conference co-chair