[SciPy-dev] Extra marker in X-Y plot

eric eric at scipy.org
Fri Nov 9 09:12:20 CST 2001

Hey Magnus,

If I'm following what you want here, just adding a third line will work.
For example:

>>> plt.plot((1,5,10),'b-',(1,4,8),'g-',(1.5,1.5),(0,10),'r-')

Something like this should also work:

>>> plt.plot((1,5,10),'b-',(1,4,8),'g-')
>>> plt.hold('on')
>>> plt.plot((1.5,1.5),(0,10),'r-')

The third line puts a vertical line on the graph at x=1.5.

If your looking for a way to zoom in on a relevant portion of a graph,
Jochen Kupper has added a nifty zoom feature to plt that allows you to
select a region of the graph you'd like to zoom in on with the mouse.  He
posted a patch to the list earlier that you can apply to get the zoom
feature, or you can grab it from his website I think.  As long as your not
messing with images, it works great.  Assuming we get the image issue worked
out, this'll be in the next release.

It'd also be a nice feature to specify the location of a "marker" line and
have it added automatically, but that isn't available.

eric