[SciPy-dev] dgesdd_ problem with scipy

arnd.baecker at physik.uni-ulm.de arnd.baecker at physik.uni-ulm.de
Wed Nov 21 04:12:58 CST 2001

Hi,

I again tried to install scipy, and everything worked out
quite fine. However, when I start python
and do an import scipy, it ends with

  ImportError:
/home/abaecker/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: dgesdd_

First some more details on the install:
I installed
 Python-2.2b2.tgz
 atlas3.2.1.tgz
 f2py-2.latest.tgz
 fftw-2.1.3.tar.gz
 wxGTK-2.2.7.tar.gz
 wxPython-2.2.7.tar.gz
Numerical and scipy were fetched from todays CVS.

Numerical on its own compiles fine and does
include in lapack_lite.so the corresponding new LAPACK 3 routines.
So if I do (after the installation of scipy)
  cd scipy/Numerical
  python setup.py install
it builds some different version of lapack_lite.so for which
  strings ~/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric/lapack_lite.so  |
grep dgesdd_
gives
  dgesdd_
  dgesdd_

Trying then to do an import scipy (i.e with this lapack_lite.so) gives
a different error:
  File
"/home/abaecker/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/basic1a.py", line
9, in ?
    from scipy.linalg import eig
ImportError: cannot import name eig

So it seems that this one contains dgesdd but not
the routines needed for linalg ?!

So, what can I do to resolve the first problem ?
(I hope the second will not appear then ... ;-)

Best wishes,

Arnd