[SciPy-dev] scipy.linalg and LAPACK 3.0

eric jones eric at scipy.org
Thu Sep 6 15:03:13 CDT 2001

I'd say the latter of the two.  I started linalg months ago, and Travis O.
put
a lot of effort into over the last several weeks.

I'm not really familiar with 3.0 -- we are really focusing on ATLAS cause
it is so dang fast on most platforms.  It doesn't provide a full LAPACK
though,
so you have to merge it with another LAPACK to get everything.

If you can figure out how to write a generic interface (not to hard, but
only
partially documented in /linalg/docs/more_notes), then have at it.
The actual f2py interfaces are generated from a python script.

The more interfaces the merrier, but the compatibility issue has to be
addressed.
On Unix, we could use 'nm' to check if the function is there.  On windows it
ain't so easy.  Maybe it should just be an optional function for now (i.e.
defaults
to being commented out) for the widest compatibility.

eric