Enchanced system_info (was Re: [SciPy-dev] preparing for release 0.2!)

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Mon Apr 1 17:56:28 CST 2002

Hi!

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, David M. Cooke wrote:

> I've updated it to add more hooks. This should appease the user who
> has his atlas libraries compiled into 'blas' and 'lapack'. Now the
> names of the libraries are configurable, and there's some
> documentation at the top.

I have commited your changes to CVS with some changes:

1) site.cfg is in CVS under the name sample_site.cfg. In order to have
    this file effect, one must rename it back to site.cfg. This ensures
    that local changes in site.cfg will not be lost when upgrading.
   Open issues:
   a)  where should be file site.cfg be? Currently it is in
       scipy_distutils directory but if it is inconvinient then we
       could also move it up into the scipy directory. Or should it
       be just looked there by system_info.py?
   b)  installing site.cfg as a data file. It depends where is its
       final destination. Is it useful to install site.cfg at all?

2) Moved prefix /usr to the end of the prefix list that starts with
   /usr/local, /opt.
3) Added <prefix>/lib/{atlas,ATLAS}* to the list of paths where atlas
   libraries are searched. Additional hooks may be needed for Win32.
4) Fixed "-llapack must occure before -latlas" issue.
5) Added additional hooks for finding X11 libraries.
6) Some other minor changes.

Please, test the new system_info.py file and let us know if there are any
problems.

And David, thanks again for your contribution!

Thanks,
	Pearu