[SciPy-dev] Required version of Numeric is 21.x

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Tue Apr 2 14:14:21 CST 2002

Hi!

I am using Numeric versions 20.2.1 and 20.3 (for Python 2.1 and 2.2,
respectively) and I get the following error while importing scipy
(latest CVS build):

>>> import scipy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "scipy/__init__.py", line 29, in ?
    from scipy_base import *
  File "scipy_base/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
    import limits
  File "scipy_base/limits.py", line 10, in ?
    from utility import toFloat32, toFloat64
  File "scipy_base/utility.py", line 30, in ?
    cast = {Numeric.Character: toChar,
AttributeError: 'Numeric' module has no attribute 'Character'

Travis, you mentioned earlier that such error can only occure if one has
"unusual" Numeric installed. I checked from NumPy CVS and verified that
attribute 'Character' was introduced first time to Numeric version
21.0b1.

So, shall we agree that SciPy requires NumPy version 21.x?

It has a short term drawback because those who use NumPy from their
OS distribution, cannot use SciPy for awhile. For example, latest NumPy in
debian woody is 20.3.

Regards,
	Pearu

PS: In order to build the latest SciPy from CVS, one needs to create a
directory
   scipy_base/tests