[SciPy-dev] scipy_base.testing - requiring Numeric?

pearu at scipy.org pearu at scipy.org
Sun Apr 7 16:30:36 CDT 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, eric wrote:

> Testing was actually developed as a generic test tool that would work outside of
> scipy.  Weave uses it for testing, and weave is pretty much independent of scipy
> and scipy_base other than this.  I don't want to force people to have Numeric
> installed when using  weave.  Weave will have to be packaged slightly different
> than it is now for stand-alone use, but I'd like to keep testing.py in a format
> where it can be used without modification in the stand alone version.  So, this
> is a long way of saying, lets keep the try/except around the Numeric stuff for
> now.

OK, that's fine.

I have learned to be very careful with using try/expect constructs. If the
try/expect block contains more than, say, 2-3 lines, then too many things
can go wrong that are not indented and should not be passed without a
warning or an exception. This explains my urge to either to remove
try/expect blocks or to reduce them to minimal.

Pearu