[SciPy-dev] scipy-0.2 -- maybe mid next week

eric eric at scipy.org
Sun Apr 7 17:45:04 CDT 2002

Hmmm.  I see.  Getting bit by shared libraries.

Looking at system_info's output, I get:

[eric at enthoughtaus1 scipy_distutils]$ python system_info.py
atlas_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib', '/home/eric/lib/atlas']

because there is a liblapack.a (and .so) in /usr/lib I'm guessing.  My atlas
installation and my Python installation are local to my user directory.  If a
user library (or one on the Python prefix path) is found, shouldn't it come
first in the library_dirs list?  This would give preference to user installed
libraries.  I guess site.cfg is another method of doing this, but I think giving
preference to user installed libraries by default is the way to go.

After making the change to system_info.py, I get

[eric at enthoughtaus1 scipy_distutils]$ python system_info.py
atlas_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/home/eric/lib/atlas', '/home/eric/lib/atlas']

This solves the problem of the .so libraries.  Now I've learned my altas libs
are old on this machine and need to be updated... so I'll fix that and try
again.

thanks for your help,

eric