[SciPy-dev] genetic algorithm, number theory, filter design,zerofinding

Chuck Harris Chuck.Harris at sdl.usu.edu
Wed Apr 10 18:33:18 CDT 2002

[snip]

> > Also, is there any way of checking execution time, do we
> really care?
>
> See how it is done in linalg/tests/test_basic.py,
> look for bench_* methods and how they use
> ScipyTestCase.measure method.
> And yes, we do care and it can be very useful.

Curiously, a quick test shows *all* the python routines as faster than fsolve. I found this surprising. Perhaps it would be worth the hassle of putting these in C, then again, function evaluations might be the bottle neck, although I doubt it.
Times are seconds for 10000 iterations,

f(x) = 1 - x**2 .
Initial estimate for fsolve: .5
bracketing interval for others: [.5,2]