[SciPy-dev] genetic algorithm, number theory, filterdesign,zerofinding

pearu at scipy.org pearu at scipy.org
Thu Apr 11 14:34:18 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> > Hmm... f2py handles this?
>
> Yes, as long as your C functions do not take complicated structures.  Is
> that true, Pearu -- or have you found some magic there too?

Currently, that is true.
Actually, I need this for supporting Fortran 90 TYPE arguments in f2py and
there C struct's will be used... But don't hold your breath ;-)

> > The fact that f might be a method instead of a plain old function
> needs to be detected, but this is needed anyway. In Fortran-77, if I
> recall, some sort of common was needed to achieve this sort of thing
> easily. Comments? Is this a good idea or a total kludge.
>
> Again,  use f2py.  This is all handled easily.

f2py can handle F77 common blocks with no problem but I would not
recommend using them in this situation. Common blocks are global and there
will be a mess if the corresponding functions are called recursively, for
example.

Pearu