[SciPy-dev] genetic algorithm, number theory, filterdesign,zerofinding

Chuck Harris Chuck.Harris at sdl.usu.edu
Thu Apr 11 14:44:29 CDT 2002

Hi

Absolutely, no argument here.

> > Hmm... f2py handles this?
>
> Yes, it does (cblas,clapack are wrapped with f2py, for example). The
> signature files may look Fortran but there is actually only little
> difference in wrapping Fortran or C functions. And there are some
> additional hooks available for the signature files that ease
> overcoming

Signature file?

> these small differences (intent(c), fortranname, callstatement,
> callprotoargument etc. statements).
> Of course, I am assuming that C functions do not use
> complicated struct's,
> except the complex one.

Root finders are pretty basic. Looks like the standard call for all of them would be:

solve(f,a,b,args=(),xtol=default,maxiter=default)

with a (python) float return. a,b,xtol should be double, or converted to double. maxiter is integer, and f returns double to the C routine.

There is a disagreement between say, fsolve and bisection, where one has the named argument xtol, and the other tol. How should this be resolved?

I could probably just look at the wrapper for fsolve and make a few changes, eh?

Chuck