[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] QR algorithms in Python

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Tue Aug 13 06:46:34 CDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, James G Analytis wrote:

> Dear Pearu,
> SciPy's linalg modules are just what I need. However, I get the following
> problem on importing SciPy:
>
> [analytis at toomey analytis]$ python2
> Python 2.2 (#1, Apr 12 2002, 15:29:57)
> [GCC 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-109)] on linux2
> exceptions.ImportError:
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/linalg/flapack.so     : undefined
> symbol: sgesdd_
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<snip>

> I am running standard Red Hat 7.3 with a smp kernel, on a dual-processor
> PIII.
> Is there anything I should watch out for (compiler issues perhaps)?
> I appreciate the help!

The problem seems to be with the lapack installation. Did you follow the
instructions in scipy/INSTALL.txt file, especially the ones related to
ATLAS? In order to give more hints, could you send the
output of the following command:

 python scipy_distutils/system_info.py

and also the location of your ATLAS (or BLAS and LAPACK) libraries?

Pearu