[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] QR algorithms in Python

James G Analytis james.analytis at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 13 12:17:02 CDT 2002

Dear Pearu,

> The problem seems to be with the lapack installation. Did you follow the
> instructions in scipy/INSTALL.txt file, especially the ones related to
> ATLAS?
I followed the instructions on
http://www.scipy.org/Members/fperez/PerezCVSBuild.htm
But I noted the problems described in scipy/INSTALL.txt and thought I had
installed ATLAS correctly.

> In order to give more hints, could you send the
> output of the following command:
>
>  python scipy_distutils/system_info.py

[analytis at toomey analytis]$ python2
/home/analytis/tmp/scipy/scipy_distutils/system_info.py
atlas_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']

blas_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['blas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']

blas_src_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

fftw_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['fftw', 'rfftw', 'fftw_threads', 'rfftw_threads', 'sfftw',
'srfftw', 'sfftw_threads', 'srfftw_threads']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']
    define_macros = [('SCIPY_FFTW_H', 1), ('SCIPY_SFFTW_H', 1)]
    include_dirs = ['/usr/local/include']

lapack_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']

lapack_src_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

x11_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['X11']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/X11R6/lib']
    include_dirs = ['/usr/X11R6/include']

So everything is there except blas_src_info and lapack_src_info.

> and also the location of your ATLAS (or BLAS and LAPACK) libraries?

I've got two copies of liblapack.a - one that came with ATLAS and one that
came with RedHat 7.3. The ATLAS liblapack is in /usr/local/lib/ and the
system one is in /usr/lib/. I will remove the RedHat ones and recompile
ATLAS. I couldn't initially remove the RedHat ones because Octave required
them. But I've since discovered that Octave can be removed.
Hopefully this should work (?)
I'm using standard install of RedHat 7.3 with gcc version 2.96, but this can
be changed if you recommend it.

Cheers,
James