[SciPy-dev] scipy / f2py / debian

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Mon Aug 26 17:39:00 CDT 2002

> > Pearu, you've put the most work into scipy_distutils lately.  Whats
your
> > estimation of the work required to get this in the core.
>
> I think you summarized well the issues with distutils and Fortran
support.
> Making a first patch should not require too much work (may be a full
> week should be enough). I only think that the current build_flib.py
> should be splitted into two parts:
> 1) command/build_flib.py - with a similar functionality as
build_clib.py
> but a library is built from Fortran sources
> 2) fcompiler.py - Fortran compiler definitions, similar to
ccompiler.py

I like this change.

> During the development of scipy_distutils I think we have learned a
lot
> about distutils internals but there are still some parts where
> scipy_distutils could take more advantage of the code in distutils.
> Of cource, in many places simple patches to distutils would simplify
that
> task considerably.

> I could start working with distutils again but currently I can do that
> only in background:

Ok.  I wonder if we should shoot for 2.3 or 2.4?  I don't know the
timeline for such things.  2.4 might be more feasible given other
commitments on everyone's time -- it would be out the middle of next
year I think.

> I want to finish fftpack (btw, I am getting
> performance boosts upto 5 times with fftpack2:-)

Very cool.

> and my daily work needs to be done.

Yeah, this stuff always seems to get in the way... :-)

See ya,
eric