[SciPy-dev] Problem building under Solaris

Tom Loredo loredo at astrosun.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 6 15:00:04 CST 2002

Hi folks-

I recently installed Python 2.2 and am trying to install SciPy
with it.  The machine is a Sun Ultra10 running Solaris (SunOS 5.7).
The build is crashing when building shared libraries.  The
problem is that "gcc" is called with a "-lf90" option.  We
have a Fortran 95 compiler (Sun WorkShop 6 update 1), but it
doesn't come with a libf90 (it has a few separate libraries).
In any case, if I just copy the "gcc -shared..." line that
setup.py spills out before it quits, and delete -lf90 and
the (null) variables, it appears to link fine.  I cannot
figure out where "-lf90" gets added to the link command,
and I don't want to keep building each one by hand as the
setup script crashes (I've done three so far---I don't know
how many there would be).  I suspect this is a distutils
problem, but I thought I'd ask here first for a fix.  I've
built a lot of Python extensions, and never had this problem
before.  But I've never built anything requiring F90/95
compatibility.

Thanks,
Tom Loredo