[SciPy-dev] Build problerms on various Windows versions

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Wed Feb 13 06:14:06 CST 2002

Tervitus, [1]

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, eric wrote:

> Also, your using Python2.2, and we haven't looked at using it much yet.  There
> may be other build/use issues you run into.

Indeed, it was Python2.2 that caused these troubles (may be new
distutils in 2.2, I didn't track down the exact cause). I fixed it by
adding blas to the list of libraries for quadpack (that uses linpack_lite
and that uses blas).

The latest scipy in CVS should now build with Python 2.2.

On the other hand, I find the issue mentioned in the setup_integrate.py
comment:

    #  Note that all extension modules will be linked against all c and
    #  fortran libraries.  But it is a good idea to at least comment
    #  the dependencies in the section for each subpackage.

a bug in scipy_distutils. I would prefer that when defining an Extension,
then it should _explicitly_ define also all libraries that this extension
module depends on (this will avoid these strange dependency
problems).

Basically, scipy_distutils.setup should not use
'fortran_libraries' keyword as an extension of the 'libraries' keyword.
In fact, both these keywords should not be used when a package defines
more than one extension module with different set of libraries.
If nobody will mind, I'll try to fix this in scipy_distutils.
What do you think?

Regards,
	Pearu

Footnotes:
[1] 'Tervitus' is estonian word for 'Greeting'