[SciPy-dev] mac os X port? plt development?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Feb 15 11:24:53 CST 2002

    JP> a) is anyone out there working on a port for Mac Os X? That
    JP> would be the best! Matlab no longer support macs so lots of
    JP> users are looking for alternative scripting languages. And
    JP> because of the freeBSD kernel of osX many programmers are
    JP> starting to use macs (you wouldnt believe me if I told you 2
    JP> years ago!)

Well, I dont know of many folks who use the Mac OS X on this list.
AFAIK this seems the first mac os X post we have had on the list.  It
would be nice if you could take a shot at it and let us know how it
goes.  I believe fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) should prove
useful.  But I am pretty clueless as far as Macs go.

    JP> b) how is the development of plt coming on? What sort of time
    JP> do you expect it to take to give that the functionality of
    JP> gnuplot? The thing I use lots that doesnt exist is a proper
    JP> surface plot (not mesh).

Well, I'm not sure a 3d mesh was planned for plt?  However I was
thinking of writing a wrapper to mayavi
(http://mayavi.sourceforge.net) to see if it could do the job but I
havent had much time of late.  Maybe you should check out mayavi and
see if it is good enough.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if Tkinter is
ported to Mac OS X and not sure of the status of vtk on OS X.  So
YMMV.

prabhu