[SciPy-dev] Is Python being Dylanized?

eric eric at scipy.org
Sat Feb 16 22:00:01 CST 2002

Hey Prabhu,

My sense is that user supplied type information mainly benefits classes.  I'm
not convinced we need strong typing for functions yet -- the only place I can
think of where we absolutely need it is for recursion.  In all other cases, it
appears that typing can be inferred at run time.  The two benefits that strong
typing does provide is smaller footprint (we can pre-compile multiple extenstion
functions within the same module), and possibly some safety.  I am not a
language weenie, so I could be missing something.  This is just based off of my
experience with weave.