[SciPy-dev] sdist problems.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Feb 17 02:01:59 CST 2002

hi,

Sorry for being a pain but the sdist feature does not work.  I figured
if you are going to do some work with the scipy_distutils maybe you
could take a peek at the sdist problem too.  If sdist works it would
make life easier when I need to install scipy on machines that are
behind a firewall.  Here is the error message that I got.

$ python setup.py sdist -d /tmp
file: build/generated_pyfs/flapack.pyf
file: build/generated_pyfs/clapack.pyf
file: build/generated_pyfs/fblas.pyf
file: build/generated_pyfs/cblas.pyf
running sdist
reading manifest file 'MANIFEST'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 126, in ?
    install_package()
  File "setup.py", line 116, in install_package
    url = "http://www.scipy.org",
  File "scipy_distutils/core.py", line 43, in setup
    return old_setup(**new_attr)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/distutils/core.py", line 138, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/distutils/dist.py", line 899, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/distutils/dist.py", line 919, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/distutils/command/sdist.py", line 150, in run
    self.make_distribution()
  File "scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py", line 93, in make_distribution
    self.make_release_tree(base_dir, self.filelist.files)
  File "scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py", line 32, in make_release_tree
    dest_files = remove_common_base(files)
  File "scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py", line 126, in remove_common_base
    results = [string.replace(file,base,'') for file in files]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/string.py", line 369, in replace
    return s.replace(old, new, maxsplit)
ValueError: empty pattern string
$

I tried to modify the scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py but was only
fixing symptoms since I dont understand much of the code.

thanks,
prabhu