[SciPy-dev] Long running find in setup_xplt.py

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Feb 17 13:03:46 CST 2002

hi,

Each time I run setup.py inside scipy, setup_xplt.py runs a find
command in /usr which in my case has about 3-4 Gigs of stuff.  My disk
churns for quite a long while when the command runs and its pretty
irritating when I update my scipy install.  Also, the code in

def check_and_save(file='saved_values.py'):

appends to saved_values.py all the time.  So right now I have about 38
entries in that file with the same entry 'X11 = 1'.

The configuration function tries to execute ../saved_values.py.  I'm
not sure this will work when setup.py is run from the base directory.
So I tried changing this to execfile('saved_values.py').  That also
does not work properly because execfile does not seem to work properly
when called inside a function.  I discovered this because I tried
adding a print X11 after the execfile and it fails!

    try:
        execfile('saved_values.py')
        print X11

And it fails here!

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 126, in ?
    install_package()
  File "setup.py", line 103, in install_package
    config.extend([get_package_config(x,parent_package)for x in unix_packages])
  File "setup.py", line 46, in get_package_config
    config = mod.configuration(parent)
  File "xplt/setup_xplt.py", line 18, in configuration
    print X11

So I tried this:

In [14]: def do_func():
   ....:  execfile('saved_values.py')
   ....:  print X11
   ....:

In [17]: execfile('saved_values.py')

In [18]: print X11
1

In [22]: del X11

In [23]: do_func ()
In saved_values.py
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

?

? in do_func()

NameError: global name 'X11' is not defined

OTOH, if I do a exec(file.read()) it works okay.

In [31]: def do_func ():
   ....:  exec(open('saved_values.py').read())
   ....:  print X11
   ....:

In [33]: do_func ()
In saved_values.py
1

Is this an execfile bug?

Now there are no annoying finds.  So, I'll go ahead and change this in
CVS.

prabhu