[SciPy-dev] Using IPython

Fernando Pérez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Sun Feb 17 14:07:36 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> What does this group think about packaging ipython with SciPy to get
> access to an improved shell?
>
> Is that something worth pursuing?

If I may add a completely unbiased opinion to the discussion  :)

I wrote IPython specifically with something like scipy in mind, using ideas
from the design of Mathematica and IDL along the way. Obviously the code is
free so anyone can use it, but I can commit to help with whatever you folks
feel is needed to better enhance scipy.

So if there's enough interest in using it, you can count on not having to
pick up all the slack, as I'm actively interested in working further on it.

Let me know what the opinions are, and I can give a bit of a report on the
current status of the program (for users), the code (for developers) and
future directions.

In case anyone doesn't have the url handy, it's

http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython/

Thanks for the interest,

Fernando.