[SciPy-dev] Using IPython

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Feb 18 12:09:27 CST 2002

On Sunday 17 February 2002 02:27 pm, you wrote:
> Fernando Pérez writes:
>  > > Then a last one, to make the who command really useful, it needs to
>  > > supress names from later imported modules. There is also a who command
>  > > in ipython.
>  >
>  > ipython has @who and @whos (more detail). If you need changes, I'm open
>  > to anything.
>  >
>  > > Oh and the really last one :-) which help system you want to use in
>  > > the future?
>  >
>  > Sorry, is this question for ipython or for scipy?
>
> It was more a headsup, that the scipy folks need to make a descision
> about this. I would like to use pydoc as you did in ipython. And you
> were right IMO to ripp of the html-based thing. I write the html-doc's
> more to be a kind of handbook, which would be a good place to give
> more examples, links between functions and short overview chapters. I
> also think about a kind of appendix with a presentation of different
> groupings. But that's not the first goal.

The problem is pydoc uses a pager which does not work inside of an emacs
session so that help system is broken in some terminals.

Also, the scipy help system breaks up the line better for long argument lists
in functions.

The scipy help command now allows you to enter help('somestring') and it will
search for an object down the scipy tree with that name and display help on
it.

-Travis O.