[SciPy-dev] Plot_utlity

Fedor Baart fedor at mailandnews.com
Tue Feb 19 17:52:56 CST 2002

SVG is a very interesting format. I'm working on it for a few weeks now.
And I'm getting some nice results. It is especially useful for graphs
with a lot of information because of the 'vector' approach instead of
the bitmap.

I will probably publish my SVG program somewhere within a few days. I'm
just finishing up the last elements and the documentation. I'm also
trying to get it to work on zope. It is working as a external method on
my local zope server. I used the SVG specification of www.w3.org as a
main source of information. It is a very clear specification. I looked
at some examples at http://www.adobe.com/svg
I ordered a SVG book from O'reilly but haven't got it yet. I also
ordered Python and XML but I didn't receive it untill I was almost done.

There is another xml-based vector format. It is called 'vml' or vector
markup language. It is used in the MS Office 2000 and XP and is
supported by MSIE for creating and viewing the vector graphics. But
since SVG is the W3 recommendation I don't think we're going to see much
of vml anymore.

Other usefull links in this area are:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/03/21/svg.html #intro to SVG
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html #A nice example about

http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=SVG #Perl module which resembles the
one I am working on.
http://sis.cmis.csiro.au/svg/		   #Old
http://xml.apache.org/batik/           #Java implementation. Very
interesting. Also a nice viewer
http://www.jasc.com                    #Look for the webdraw program. It
creates SVG documents wich can be very useful for testing or for
creating symbols you want to use.

I'll sent you an email when I publish it somewhere.

Fedor

Subject: Re: [SciPy-dev] Plot_utlity

    eric> This sounds very interesting.  Any chance your code open?
    eric> If so, I'd like to take a look.  Also, what resources did
    eric> you use to learn about SVG?

Indeed, this is interesting.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/02/07/svghist.html

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8