[SciPy-dev] Plot_utlity

greg landrum greglandrum at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 19 21:52:37 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 15:52, Fedor Baart wrote:
> SVG is a very interesting format. I'm working on it for a few weeks now.
> And I'm getting some nice results. It is especially useful for graphs
> with a lot of information because of the 'vector' approach instead of
> the bitmap.

SVG is quite interesting and useful.  It's also pretty easy to pick up.

Some python and SVG pointers:
- Piddle/sping (http://sourceforge.net/projects/piddle) has an SVG
canvas (self-promotion warning: I wrote this).
- Sketch (http://sketch.sourceforge.net/) handles SVG, but it's unix
only.
- Graphite (http://sourceforge.net/projects/graphite) is a plotting
program which uses Sping as its back-end.  It's definitely beta and
doesn't appear to be active.

On the commercial side: Adobe Illustrator now has native support for SVG
(reading and writing).

-greg

--
greg Landrum (greglandrum at earthlink.net)
Software Carpenter/Computational Chemist