[SciPy-dev] Request to test system info hooks

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Thu Feb 21 16:49:11 CST 2002

Hi,

I have finished implementing system info hooks. And before I will apply
them to scipy setup_*.py scripts, I would like to ask you to run a
simple test in order to avoid possible scipy build instabilities after
the changes.

To run this test, please update scipy from CVS, or only the file
scipy_distutils/system_info.py. This should have no effect on the local
builds, if you worry about that.
Then run

	python scipy_distutils/system_info.py

This will print out what system_info.py found or did not found from your
system. It will look only for ATLAS, FFTW, and X11 (ignore messages about
blas and lapack). Here follows the result that I see:

atlas_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  Looking in /usr/local ...
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib/atlas']

blas_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  Looking in /usr/local ...
  Looking in /opt ...
  NOT AVAILABLE

fftw_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  FOUND:
    include_dirs = ['/usr/include']
    define_macros = ('SCIPY_FFTW_H', 1)
    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
    libraries = ['fftw', 'rfftw', 'fftw_threads', 'rfftw_threads']

lapack_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  Looking in /usr/local ...
  Looking in /opt ...
  NOT AVAILABLE

x11_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  FOUND:
    include_dirs = ['/usr/X11R6/include/X11']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/X11R6/lib']
    libraries = ['X11']

Please check that everything is correct in your output and let me know if
system_info did not discover some libriries that it should have. Or the
results are unexpected in any other way.

Those who prefer shared libraries, should edit system_info.py file and
set
	system_info.static_first = 0

before running this test. Here follows the output if I disable
static_first:

atlas_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  Looking in /usr/local ...
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib/atlas']

fftw_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  FOUND:
    include_dirs = ['/usr/include']
    extra_objects = ['/usr/lib/libfftw.so', '/usr/lib/librfftw.so',
'/usr/lib/libfftw_threads.so', '/usr/lib/librfftw_threads.so']
    define_macros = ('SCIPY_FFTW_H', 1)

x11_info:
  Looking in /usr ...
  FOUND:
    include_dirs = ['/usr/X11R6/include/X11']
    extra_objects = ['/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so']

Win32 users should note that I cannot test system_info.py on their
platform, in fact, I am not familiar with the system resource issues on
win32. Therefore, I appreciate if you could read various XXX comments
about Win32 in system_info.py and fix the code if necessary.

Please let me know about any problems that you'll have and we'll try to
resolve them before moving SciPy setup files to use system_info hooks.

Thanks,
	Pearu