[SciPy-dev] new buld process in CVS

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Thu Jan 10 02:39:25 CST 2002

Hi,

> To include the package foo within SciPy, you'll need to place the foo

<snip>

>     def configuration(parent_package=''):
>         # if we have a parent module, append a '.' to it

<snip>

>         # return the configuration information.
>         return config

To achive a better modularization of scipy, I would suggest the following
addition to the setup_foo.py files:

if __name__ == "__main__":
    from scipy_distutils.core import setup
    setup(**configuration())

so that when setup_foo.py build is run from foo/ directory, it must build
and the resulting module must be usable without scipy.

I think it makes it also easier to test submodules of scipy from their
directories rather than editing the top level setup.py to disable other
packages in order to just build the one module under testing.

I realize that this might not be possible for all modules (due to scipy
leveling scheme) but the lowest level modules as the most important ones
should have more convinient testing facilities.

What do you think?

Regards,
	Pearu