[SciPy-dev] Weave Mandrake report.

eric eric at scipy.org
Sun Jan 13 21:01:03 CST 2002

Hey Fernando,

You caught the CVS in a transitional state -- that is the error your getting
with the FILE stuff.  I started fixing an issue with exception handling that
was bugging me this afternoon.  It will be completed tonight.

Also, instead of running from the scipy/weave directory of the CVS, try
running from the scipy/ directory so that the weave package is in the
current directory.  Without installing weave explicitly, this is the best
way to test it.  Of course, wait till the above changes are finished before
trying again (I announce this).

> dep: ['scipy_distutils', 'scipy_test']
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 44, in ?
>     stand_alone_package(with_dependencies)
>   File "setup.py", line 23, in stand_alone_package
>     config_dict = package_config(primary,dependencies)
>   File "scipy_distutils/misc_util.py", line 174, in package_config
>     config.extend([get_package_config(x) for x in primary])
>   File "scipy_distutils/misc_util.py", line 161, in get_package_config
>     mod = __import__('setup_'+package_name)
> ImportError: No module named setup_weave

Hmmm.  I'll look into this.  I haven't had the problem when installing from
the tar-ball, but *can* think of a reason that it might happen.  I'll do a
little investigation -- especially since I'd like to open it up to wider
inspection tomorrow.

> I hope this is more useful than what I had before, and let me know if I
can
> help more, or what I may be doing wrong. Since I now have the cvs tree I
can
> easily update as needed and rerun the tests.

I'll bet a nickle your not getting the Abort because the test that was
causing the Abort fails even earlier, and doesn't allow the Abort to happen.
Call me a pessimist... :)

> I'm really looking forward to weave stabilizing, as I suspect I might have
> immediate need for it in my thesis. So I'll try to help as much as
possible.

I'd like to work this out also.  The cross platform issues are proving to be
a headache.  Also, last night we learned that the Python 2.1.1 version of
dumbdbm (which Prabhu was using on Debian) is buggy.  The new code hopefully
solves these issues, but I'll bet it remains a trouble spot.  Two things
could help as far as Mandrake is concerned.  (1) If I had a shell temporary
shell account on a Mandrake machine, I could diagnose the issue the
quickest.  Barring that (2) we could set up a time to chat via Yahoo
tomorrow or the next day so that you and I could have a co-debugging
session.  Let me know what works best for you.

eric