[SciPy-dev] adding LAPACK and BLAS to the source code

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Mon Jun 24 13:41:11 CDT 2002

It does grow -- I see this as the major drawback.

> Sticking it in CVS also means that even if the package is removed it
> still lingers in the attic (which can be painful sometimes).

I haven't dealt with this, but (perhaps naively) feel this isn't that
huge of an issue.  If there is evidence to the contrary, please
elaborate.  I guess the other deal is that I don't think we'll take it
out in the future, accept when a new version of LAPACK comes out.

> Also,
> aren't there any other issues with including lapack in scipy?  Aren't
> we in some sense forking lapack or is lapack no longer under
> development??

We're not really forking since I doubt we make any modifications -- its
purely a logistical issue.  We already have code from FFTPACK, ODEPACK,
FITPACK, cephes, amos, etc. in SciPy.  We have made a few modifications
in these to get them working on newer compilers, etc., but nothing to
major.  There kept there just to make building SciPy easier.  LAPACK
would be included for the same reason.

Eric